Thursday, December 30, 2010

Capsule Hotel!

My last night in Tokyo I decided to spend at a capsule hotel. Capsule hotels have become pretty famous for not only being a really bizarre and somewhat frightening alternative to the traditional western style hotel room, but for also embodying Japan's cultural down-sizing and dealing with a high population (especially in crowded Tokyo). They are claustrophobic, as you can imagine, but actually not so bad! I slept well enough! They are pretty much just glorified bunk beds, with tv's, lights, a fan, and a built in alarm clock! The hotel had several floors and many rooms, each room with a bunch of corridors and I would estimate about 100 or so people per room. Plus the hotel was right next to the train station in the center of Tokyo!... but which also happens to be right in the middle of the red light district! I think next time I will stick to a regular hostel, cheaper and a lot less busy.

1 comment:

  1. That would freak me out... feels like some kind of gas chamber. Maybe I'm just paranoid/claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete