Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sunset Week

Two weeks during the year, the sun sets directly behind Mount Fuji. The coast of Kamakura provided the absolute best vantage point for some of the most spectacular sunsets I have EVER seen. One day, when I got back to Japan from my Asia trip, I was riding my bike at dusk, and I witnessed something spectacular. Firstly, I saw a huge group of people, most with big cameras (all pointing west), stationed on a cliff on the ocean, and I knew something was going to happen. The sun was nearing the horizon, and then in a matter of seconds a shadow was created as it slipped behind the mountain. Prior to this, the mountain was invisible, and only became visible when the sun went behind it. Mount Fuji appeared within seconds and then became outlined by golden sunlight. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of this first brilliant sunset (I never left my house without my camera again for the rest of the year!), but each night after, up until when I left Japan several days later, I went out to watch the sunset.
Here's my documentation:

September 9th:





September 10th:




September 11th:



September 12th:







No comments:

Post a Comment