Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Day's Work

This past Monday I got started on my first pottery project. I used three different types of Japanese clays: Bizen (the brown clay), Porcelain (the white clay), and a mixed clay composed of a bunch of different kinds including Shigaraki (the tan clay). I have never actually used Porcelain before. This kind is 100% pure Porcelain, without any other clay mixed in to add strength- Porcelain is very soft and difficult to work with and control. It felt like throwing with butter. The Mixed clay was my favorite. It was super coarse and wore my hands down, but it was incredibly stable. I plan to make an assortment of mugs and tea bowls, and tea pots which I have future plans for involving wooden fixtures! We'll see what happens.



1 comment:

  1. The pots look great Louie! Must feel great to get back to throwing on the wheel. Can't wait to see how you incorporate the wooden structures. Perhaps something interactive? Perhaps something with light and water? Just thinking outloud. Hass

    ReplyDelete